Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Preview and Predictions


Welcome back to life as we enter the first race of the DW12 era!  I am not a fan of street races but St. Petersburg does have some good passing points and uses FIA approved track surface (this is not your normal city street pavement).  So overall not a bad place to open a season.  Being an ABC race there will be no TV coverage of qualifying which is a major down side.  I really wish Randy Bernard would step up and say, “Hey you have first choice if you want to put in on ESPN 3 then go right ahead but if you don’t then let IndyCar.com offer live streaming for quals.”  I know it will never happen but one can dream right.  ABC does have 2.5 hours carved out on Sunday so there should be a decent prerace and unless there are delays or red flags there should be enough time for more than a couple of post race interviews.

On to predictions!  For pole I will stick to my normal of Will Power, just like last year I am sure he will not get every road / street course pole but will get most.   Podium I am going to go with Dixon for the win his performance in spring training was very impressive (but you have to keep in mind that he ran on the rubber that the Penske's laid down so it is not an apple to apples comparison.   I will go with Will in P2 with Dario 3rd.  Yeah the more things change the more they stay the same expect the big teams to win most things though I am expecting a lot this year out of Justin Wilson.  The story of the race I think is going to be the Lotus and just how far off they are, they have not shown very well in testing and if they are way off it will have people talking.  On the other hand, if they are completive it will be great for the sport and will still have everyone talking so either way I think that is what is going to have people talking on Monday.  The “Legend In His Own Mind” award I predict will end up going out to Katherine Legg.  While I am sure, the Lotus engine will get a big part in the blame I am waiting to see if they are going to enforce the 110% rule and just how long it will take before the #ParkKatherine takes over the IndyCar twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment