Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Indianapolis 500 Review and Reaction


Wow what a race.  First thing that has to stick out as we look back at the 2011 Indianapolis 500-mile race is what is wrong with Penske?  Not only did they have pit problems again they were never a factor with any of their cars.  Briscoe was coming from midfield when he ran into the “Townsend Dollar Bill” but even as he was moving up he didn’t seem to have the speed of the leaders through out the run.  One could look at this as everyone has caught up to the big teams which is of coarse makes for good racing and wide open fields.  The downside … next year with 3 different engine manufactures (and those manufactures being able to give “developmental” equipment to there foundation team(s)) next year the big teams are likely to dominate even more then they have been the past 9 years!  Yippy something to look forward too.  Other then the “Death Star” teams nonexistent when looking at the top ten the thing that really sticks out is the one off’s.  Not only the winner but Three count them THREE of the top ten were one off teams.  Makes you question just how good are these regulars really are?  Perhaps ride buying has finally caught up to most of the full time teams.  One can only hope that this would make them think harder before passing up a great driver with some money and taking up someone whose sole qualification is the check book they bring with them.  But be forewarned that the Indy Lights Death Star team is coming to up to play with the big boys and this is a very good start at being the ones to blow up the old Death Star.



As for my predictions.  I think I did pretty well on my qualifying predictions however I was really busy and never got around to making race predictions on here.  That was probably a good thing as the race predictions I did make didn’t turn out too well other then saying the 4 car would finish 2nd!  The story of the race has to go to Wheldon a one off winning should not even be possible but here we are.  Just goes to show that just how good Wheldon really is.  I was not one of the people that thought Dan should have been in the greatest 33 (even though I knew he has lead more laps then Heilo) but now, now I think maybe he really does belong up there.  Maybe there well be a movement for him to buy out a seat in one of the cars the really did qualify!  The “Legend In His Own Mind” award (as much as I hate to do it) has to go to JR Hildebrand.  I hate to pile on but he had it won if he would have just set behind Kimball, even if he would have ran out of gas he had a big enough lead to cost to the line (he almost made it to the line first even after hitting the wall!).  Even if there was any argument for not giving this award to him it goes away when you hear his explanation.  “I was able to go to the high side earlier in the day.”  That is just the definition of “Legend In His Own Mind” doing something stupid because you think you can get away with.  I just hope he has learned his lesion and will be more patience as race wins don’t come around very often for Panther anymore and Indy 500 wins are even more rare.  I think JR is an extremely talented driver with a very bright future here in IndyCar but Sunday he was just a legend in his own mind.

Overall I think race day was a huge success.  I was worried about the hot wheels stunt when it was first announced but it really seemed to bring in interest from people who do not normally care about IndyCar and even though I was skeptical at first I must admit it was pretty cool to see.  The classic cars were what I was really looking forward too race morning and they did not disappoint at all.  I hope that is something that they continue to do every year.  Having past winners driving past winning cars just seems like a natural fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment